Warriors Score 20 Unanswered To Top Old Forge in OT

Warriors Score 20 Unanswered To Top Old Forge in OT

By: Chris Manning  |  November 28, 2021  /  Photo: Chris Manning

DANVILLE — Canton scored 20 unanswered points as they rallied past Old Forge, 20-14, in the PIAA, Class A football quarterfinals Saturday.

Down 14-0 the Warriors back to back touchdowns 90 seconds apart in the fourth quarter to tie the game. They would get the winning touchdown on a Hayden Ward 8-yard run in overtime for the win.

Cooper Kitchen was 5-for-10 for 112 yards and a touchdown through the air, with Riley Parker rushing for 55 yards and a score on 18 carries. Parker also had a 12 yard touchdown catch, while Ward ran the ball six times for 39 yards, while also hauling in a 71 yard reception.

James Sobol ran for 99 yards on 20 carries to lead Old Forge, while going 15-for-37 for 187 yards with two touchdowns, and five interceptions. Josh Spindler ran for 37 yards on seven carries for the Blue Devils, while Mario Samony had 98 yards receiving on seven catches.

Five different Warriors had interceptions as they had six takeaways - and two blocked punts - and eventually took advantage, scoring both fourth quarter touchdowns off Old Forge miscues.

It was Old Forge early as James Sobol hit Casey Holzman for a 16-yard pass play to finish off an eight play, 69-yard scoring drive. The point after was no good as the Blue Devils led 6-0 with 1:34 left in the opening quarter.

Then, with 13 seconds left in the half, Sobol hit Samony for a 45-yard touchdown. Spindler ran in the 2-point conversion to make it 14-0 at the half.

After a scoreless third quarter, Canton finally got on board in the fourth. After a Hayden Ward interception they went 78-yards in six plays, ending with a 12-yard touchdown pass from Kitchen to Parker on fourth down. Bailey Ferguson added the point after to cut it to 14-7 with 7:03 left to play.

A 71-yard Kitchen to Ward pass play was the key moment of the drive.

Old Forge was forced into a 3-and-out on their ensuing drive, but on the punt attempt a blocker was pushed into the punter before he could get the kick away. The ball ended up on the ground, with Canton’s Gage Pepper picking it up and returning it to the Blue Devil 3-yard line.

Parker punched in the touchdown on the next play. Ferguson added the point after, and it was 14-14 with 5:33 left on the clock.

The two teams ended up in overtime, with the Blue Devils getting the ball first. Their possession ended with a Weston Bellows interception in the end zone on third down.

The Warriors needed just two plays to score the winning touchdown, an 8-yard Ward run for the 20-14 final.